Molds produce some of the most toxic substances known, called mycotoxins. One small moldy fruit or vegetable can pollute a huge batch of juice, jam or other product. Although molds are alive, and can be killed by zapping, mycotoxins are not, and must be detoxified by your liver.
But because mycotoxins are so extremely poisonous, a tiny amount can incapacitate a part of the liver for days!
Aflatoxin is the most common mycotoxin I detect. It is produced by molds that grow on quite a variety of plants. For that reason I am always cautioning people to eat only perfect citrus fruit, and never drink commercial fruit juice. Of the thousands of oranges that go into the batch of orange juice you drink, one is sure to be moldy, and that is all it takes to give your liver a setback.
A heavy dose of vitamin C helps the liver recover quickly. It also helps get rid of aflatoxin before it is consumed, right in the food container. So keep a plastic shaker of vitamin C powder handy and use it like salt on all your food.
There are thirteen other mycotoxins I have searched for in our foods. They are described in the section on moldy food.