Biochemists know that a mineral in raw element form always inhibits the enzyme using that mineral. Copper from the meat and vegetables you eat is essential. Inorganic copper, like you would get from a copper bottomed kettle or copper plumbing, is carcinogenic3. Unfortunately, the inorganic form of metals is what pervades our environment. We put metal jewelry on our skin, eat bread baked in metal pans, and drink water from metal plumbing.
Another obvious metallic threat is tooth fillings. Mercury amalgam fillings, despite the assurances of the American Dental Association, are not safe. And sometimes the mercury is polluted with thallium, even more toxic than mercury! Gold and silver seem to have fewer harmful effects, but no one should have any pure metal in or on their body.
Other prevalent toxic metals include lead and cadmium from soldered and galvanized plumbing, nickel and chromium from dentalware and cosmetics, and aluminum from food and drink cans, and cooking pots.